Monday, May 26, 2008

Day 9, 26 May 2008, Juan-les-Pins to Menerbes


Today was a pretty easy day. Adam and Carlisle had to pack and ship some of their colder clothes, so Angela and I strolled along the waterfront promenade with a breakfast of pastries from a supermarket close to our hotel. We got on the road around 11:30 or so and headed to Grasse, the perfume capital of the world. Angela had wanted to go to the Fragonard factory to do some perfume shopping, so Adam and I sat on the benches while the girls were like kids in a (very expensive) candy shop. Several bars of soap, bottles of lotion, and jars of perfume later, we were back on the highway en route to Provence.

The drive was generally uneventful, but finding our B&B proved fairly challenging. We got to Menerbes easily enough, but the website for the B&B really had no specific directions. I had to use an Internet Routing algorithm to find it. We pulled into a winery where I asked if they knew of the B&B. He said yes, and told me the road to take to get there. When I found that road, I found a woman walking her dog and asked if she knew. She gave me another set of more specific directions and I was on my way. Finally, we found a small house with some cars parked out front. I thought, "Aha! This has to be it!" I walked around back and quickly realized that this was not the place, but the man watching TV in his living room was able to get me to my final destination. Turns out the B&B was just a couple hundred more yards down the road. Angela laughed and laughed when I told her about the guy watching TV.

Our B&B is delightful. It's a 280 year old farmhouse that's been renovated with 3 guest rooms and a common room. Our room is two stories and has an awesome loft ceiling and huge fireplace. There is no TV, phone, radio, etc. here. It is wonderfully peaceful and quiet. The proprietors are the cutest retired couple. They speak very little English, but we made due.
After getting settled, we set out to Menerbes for dinner. Unfortunately, Menerbes is a very sleepy town and nothing was open tonight. We decided to go to Gordes, which is a slightly larger town and was sure to have something open. We ate at an awesome place with an outdoor terrace. We finally got home around 10:30. There is a market in Gordes tomorrow, so we'll go back there, then visit the Abbaye de Senanque and play the rest of the day by ear.

No comments: